Saturday, May 14, 2011

Quite a Conversation

Cadence really doesn't like Dora the Explorer.

She's seen a few episodes, and developed a fairly pronounced distaste for the series - she found it condescending and uninteresting. It used to be mostly a non-issue, but lately a lot of people have, for whatever reason, started asking her if she likes it. I think she feels somewhat attacked by these inquiries, and has started vehemently correcting folks who mistakenly assume that she must like it because she is a girl of a certain age. (Go Cadence, really...) She's not rude, just quite blunt, and will refuse toys, stickers, or other small items people offer to gift her by saying "well, I really don't like Dora, so I won't really like that." or such to that effect.

A nuance to this is that a couple of years ago, before she'd been exposed to the show, my agent gave her a plush Dora doll which she treasured greatly. Her appreciation for this doll hasn't waned much over the years, but she did become somewhat disenchanted with it once she realized it's unwelcome associations. This all culminated the other day in what I think is kind of an awesome conversation.

Cadence: Mom, I really don't like the word (with a viscous, dripping disdain) 'Dora'
Me: You mean you don't like the name Dora?
Cadence: Yeah, I don't want her to be named Dora anymore.
Me: Well, you can always rename her if you want to.
Cadence: Yeah, I want to. I'm going to give her a new name. She has a new name now.
Me: Already? What is it?
Cadence: From now on, she's going to be called Zsa Zsa GaborPaper.

And you know what? It stuck. If you happen to see this lady walking around with her plush companion, remember; it's not ice-skating Dora, it's ice-skating Zsa Zsa GaborPaper.

That's my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment