Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day, Grandma Carol!

My Grandma Carol is an incredibly strong woman.

After losing her first husband unfairly young, she raised their two children (my dad and aunt Molly) on her own. That alone is an incredible feat and definitely worthy of all the Mother's Day Awards, but she didn't stop there.  She eventually found a new companion in my Grandpa Ed, and then had a brief respite before my cousin Meghan and I arrived within two months of each other.  Grandma was always very involved in our lives and played a huge role in them - mine (and Kelly's), despite living 1500 miles away for the bulk of my childhood…But for Meghan and her younger brother Aaron, Grandma has been a steady, guiding hand, stepping in wherever needed and even acting as a main guardian at various points along the way.

And she didn't even stop there.

Her strength is further evident in the grace with which she has handled being unfairly widowed for a second time.  She made the hard decision to leave her home in the country for an apartment in the city, where she is now helping to take care of Molly in her ailing health, and playing a hand in raising 5 of her great-grandchildren (and three step-great-grandchildren).

So yes, Mother's day is an extremely appropriate day to honor, thank, and admire my Grandma Carol.  Obviously my three kids don't get to see her nearly as often as Meghan's three or Aaron's brood, but we wanted to make sure she knows how much we love and appreciate her nonetheless.

Grandma, I love you Soooo much.  I am extremely grateful for all the love and support-emotional, physical, financial, mental - that you have provided to me - and to my whole family - over the years.  You are an amazing woman, and you inspire me in so many ways.

Happy Mother's day.

Love always,
Kate (&Co!)

No comments:

Post a Comment