Sunday, October 12, 2008

Decisions, decisions.

Howdy.

I'd like to start off by thanking everyone for their good wishes with my LSAT last (hohoho, anagram!) Saturday. I'm of mixed feelings as to how I did, and it's taken me a while to get to a point where I can really talk about it. This is going to take a little while, and I've got more interesting (at least, I find it more interesting) stuff to talk about later in the post.

LSAT Talk

I got through the logical reasoning sections feeling pretty confident, and I think I did well on the reading comprehension. However, on the logic games, I made a stupid mistake on one of the games - and hadn't given myself enough time to go back and correct the error when I realized what I'd done. So, in other words, I'm pretty sure I did well, except that I may have gotten as much as a full game's worth of questions wrong.

In the grand scheme of things, it could've been a lot worse, and I probably did better than a lot of people (although, just wait and see me tanking and getting a 120 just for typing that). Nevertheless, my expectations and - perhaps more to the point - what I think I'm capable of is pretty high and it was disappointing verging on heartbreaking when I realized that F>G when I had written G>F with only about 90 seconds left to finish the section. This when I haven't made a serious error on a logic game in over a week of daily tests. So, that really sucked, but I think I'm doing an okay job of not beating myself up. I've also more or less decided that if I score under a 170, I'm going to retake the test in December.

I feel a little weird setting my bar so high, and admitting that I'd be disappointed with a score below 170 (honestly, I think I'm going to feel a little down with even something under 175). Maybe it's an Asian thing. Whatever. I just want to do as well as I know I can - before I started prepping, that number was anywhere between 150 and 170, but now that I've put in the time and work I know I can do so much better and I'm pissed at myself for screwing it up with something dumb. I'm tempted to say it puts all that preparation to waste, but I know that's not the case, because if I hadn't done the work, I would've made a stupid mistake and done poorly on the rest of it.

What I'm designating this post as actually being about

So, over the last several months my life - and more importantly I - have undergone many change: I've gone from being gainfully employed to employmently-challenged; according to Wii Fit, I've gained around 10 lbs; on a possibly related note, I'm now a resident of Kentucky; I can now do cartwheels!; I'm being driven further and further into madness by a very old, very small Yorkshire Terrier who I just gave an obscene amount of cheese to; I am no longer the father of a little baby but rather an amazing little lady (see Kate's beautiful post for more elaboration); I think I may be a better cook; I've started playing violin again; and I am tanner as demonstrated by this crude graphic I've put together:


Most importantly, though, I can honestly say that I am so much happier. Of only slightly less import, is a rather obvious omission to my excessively long sentence: the HAIR.

Thus, we finally come to why I started writing this post in the first place. Much to my surprise, I have grown a rather prodigious amount of hair on my head, and I'm not really sure what to do with it... Well, I should clarify. For the stuff on the top of my head, I have a vague idea strongly supported by Ben, Leonard and Erik.

...Which leaves me with the facial hair. Frankly, I had serious doubts that I was physically capable of producing a beard such as the one I find on my face, and I'm still getting used to it. As a result of my lack of faith, I never took the time to learn anything about the care and grooming of such things, and that is why I find myself in my current predicament. As you can see below, my beard is decidedly unsymmetrical and has a tendency to flow to the right.



The way I see it, if I'm going to go with the facial hair, I'd like to do it right. So, what should and what can I do about this? Do I just let it grow out and hope it sorts itself out? Kate and her family have made mention of some sort of beard comb... do I acquire one and start brushing it until it comes out straight? If you're reading this, I am seeking your advice. Please share your wisdom.

4 comments:

  1. James, you are the master of graphics. The one demonstrating the lack of symmetry in your beard is my favorite. As for the hair, I'm going to suggest cornrows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you. It may be hard to tell, but this was my first time really unlocking the power of Photoshop. I think I may start my own graphics design firm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahaha. I dig the beard. You should grow it long and curl it. That would be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you just unlocked the secret to those old Chinese painting of dynasties past. You know how all the old men had extremely long beards that seemed to flow in an aquatic or wind pattern? Now we know, why they were painted like that!

    ReplyDelete