Friday, July 4, 2008

Addendum

Kate pointed out to me that my last post was kind of depressing, which was not really my intent, and I feel this irrepressible urge to try and clarify somehow. Life down here is different, and I'm taking a while to adjust to a new kind of life, a completely new environment. But there are a lot of possibilities down here, that weren't available to me in New York. I'm learning to let myself enjoy these things, like a quiet afternoon on a hammock, or just sitting out in the sun. I've taken the time to just stop and exist in a way I haven't in years. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm feeling things out right now, figuring out a new rhythm for my life. It's scary and exciting, and holds a lot of promise; learning to let myself take advantage of that promise is a big personal hurdle, but I've started having fun in a way I haven't been able to for a while. There's some up and down, as is to be expected from life in general, but things are, personally, pretty good - and for our family, great. And that's something I don't think I underlined enough in my post: I have no doubt that this was the right choice for our family. I feel unsettled, but that life is getting better every day.

2 comments:

  1. i loved the last post and didn't find it depressing at all. It's great to see you guys getting settled and soaking in the laid back nature of the south. As much stress as NYC can cause I totally understand how hard it can be to go to the exact opposite in the "country". Have fun, live life, enjoy Cadie and each other and all the other pieces will fall into place. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I didn't think it was depressing at all...

    ReplyDelete